PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for SAN processing and design

Suhas
4th January 2012, 03:11 PM
Hello All,

Had to worked with a SAN family mold. The material SO brittle and I am unable to run the two family cavities at the same time. the mold has been polished, etc but the process window is a 'spec' - :) Any suggestions? Think of the part as two slightly different slides with a lip on the A-side and B-side. (Sorry no more details, I will get sued :) under an NDA)

Thanks,
Suhas

rickbatey
6th January 2012, 08:50 PM
Suhas-I think I have ran SAN only once, for a short time, in a mold before the part was obsolete. I remember it not liking too much hold time or pressure, brittle as you stated, and running the mold warmer as they showed on the process sheet. It would seem you can't find a happy medium that both cavities like: does the mold have enough water circuits on it? Is one cavity over packing and showing strees or breaking? Maybe you could use different water temps on the two cavities and get them to run under one process. Is the real issue cavity imbalance?
Sorry for so little help...
Rick.

brentb
7th January 2012, 01:09 AM
Many family molds are built with runner/gate shutoffs. Lots of molders think they are for balancing inventory,but they are there because fill imbalance make it hard to run all the parts!
I want to say that single cavity family molds are the best

Dave (Flipper) H,where are now that we need you?

Keep on Molding!

brent

Suhas
9th January 2012, 03:53 PM
@Rick, - happy Medium: Almost an oxymoron for this material and part design :) but you are right on the money on that one. Warmer mold temps was helping me but the part design is symmetrical with reference to the parting line and so it can stick on any side - The issue is imbalance, but I think first I need to get them to run only one side first, then the other and then find the 'happy medium' - not always fun. Thanks for your input.

@Brent - The mold does have a runner shut off and so I am using that to run one or the other. I am not sure if Dave can help out - yet, but finally, we may have to. They have some cool inserts now.

Thanks.

brentb
11th January 2012, 05:03 AM
How (un?)balanced is the fill?

Keep on (family)molding!

brent