PDA

View Full Version : Mold larger than platen?

moldingppm
15th August 2016, 05:02 PM
Hello all,

I have a job coming in that I realized the mold size is a tad big larger than my platen size. The mold is 24"x42" and my platen size is 40.5".
Will that little bit of overhang be enough to stop me from running this job in my press?

The customer is currently running this job in a 300 ton, and I'm putting it in a 350 ton, so I know I have enough tonnage. I'm just making sure I can do it without an issue...

Thanks

rickbatey
16th August 2016, 04:05 AM
The more important question is where does the part sit in relation to the mold plates? Odds are the part isn't out on the very edge of the plates so you shouldn't have any issues with flash or running the part. That said I've seen a couple tools that had plate deflection issues and flash but that was due to insufficient preload on the support pillars. So I'd say you've got a good chance to mold the part successfully.
BTW-How can you clamp the mold in with plates that large? Top and bottom?
Rick

moldingppm
16th August 2016, 02:53 PM
The more important question is where does the part sit in relation to the mold plates? Odds are the part isn't out on the very edge of the plates so you shouldn't have any issues with flash or running the part. That said I've seen a couple tools that had plate deflection issues and flash but that was due to insufficient preload on the support pillars. So I'd say you've got a good chance to mold the part successfully.
BTW-How can you clamp the mold in with plates that large? Top and bottom?
Rick

Thanks for the info Rick, that's what I was assuming. I just wanted to be sure my thoughts were correct. The parts are about an inch from the edge, so I should be good to go.

The mold is 42" tall, so it would clamp on the sides as would any other (normal) mold.

Mitchell

brentb
16th August 2016, 03:05 PM
Rick is correct, as usual in my opinion.
I have run a few "hangover" molds, but where parts were in clamping area, and didn't have trouble.

KOM

brent