PDA

View Full Version : Making high end screws

graemeian
12th July 2016, 06:49 PM
I want to injection mold screws. I am looking at unscrewing the bolt from the mold. This method puts the parting line at the base of the bolt head. I need to make three different bolt head styles which is why I want to unscrew the part from the mold. I have a Boy machine that does this job well. However, I need to make some screws out of PEEK. The issue with PEEK is the high temperature required. Is looks like I will have a lot of excess heat and noise to make these screws.

I do not need the high temperature property of PEEK. Is there a carbon filled polymer that would give me similar bolt strength at room temperature?

brentb
13th July 2016, 01:18 PM
I want to injection mold screws. I am looking at unscrewing the bolt from the mold. This method puts the parting line at the base of the bolt head. I need to make three different bolt head styles which is why I want to unscrew the part from the mold. I have a Boy machine that does this job well. However, I need to make some screws out of PEEK. The issue with PEEK is the high temperature required. Is looks like I will have a lot of excess heat and noise to make these screws.

I do not need the high temperature property of PEEK. Is there a carbon filled polymer that would give me similar bolt strength at room temperature?

You need to make them from Peek, but don't need the properties of PEEK?

Try carbon filled ULTEM (PEI)

KOM

brent

JayDub
15th July 2016, 03:40 PM
Just about anything with enough carbon fiber in it will give you the tensile/flex strength of unfilled PEEK (eg PBT, PC/ABS, Nylon, PPS). You will lose out on impact strength, though. The problem I can see with unscrewing a part made with carbon reinforced polymer is likely to be tool wear - carbon fiber is brutally abrasive.