PDA

View Full Version : spiraled/threaded injection molded rubber piece?

steelguy9
1st July 2016, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping I can get your opinion on the viability of a project I have in mind. For some background, imagine a 2.5" outside diameter piece of steel that fits inside a 3" outside diameter (2.5" inside diameter; outside diameter wouldn't necessarily have to be 3" as long as it achieves the intended goal explained below) piece of rubber that is attached to the end. The steel and rubber will be attached with adhesive.

This object will need to fit as securely as possible in an approximately 2.75" diameter tube. The tube may be perfectly round or sometimes more oval shaped, but the narrowest portion will never be less than 2.75" in diameter. I'm looking for the optimal way to design the rubber end to resist against a vertical force (ie pulling the piece of steel straight out). The 2.75" diameter tube has smooth/flat wall and does not have any threads or other indentations that would allow additional grip.

Is it possible that a spiraled/threaded rubber piece could provide additional resistance to a vertical force than a perfectly round piece of rubber? This would assume that the rubber spiraling/threads have the appropriate amount of flexibility.

I realize it won't be possible to create a true screw/nut relationship between the steel piece and the 2.75" diameter tube. But I was hoping that the addition of spirals/threads would make the piece of steel harder to remove by pulling on it than it would be to remove by twisting the piece like a screw. The threads will hopefully also make it easier to insert the steel piece by twisting it than pushing it straight down.

I've attached an image that shows the rough idea of what I had in mind for the rubber piece.

Thanks!