PDA

View Full Version : Using Lifter for a Through Hole?

miuraj10
8th April 2016, 08:30 PM
I need to have a through hole on a side wall of a part. The part is essentially a tray, and the through hole is needed for attaching the plastic to a sheet metal structure, via a screw. Due to geometry on the outside wall, a slide cannot be used to make the through hole. Is there any reason why a lifter from the other side couldn't be used to make a through hole? There is plenty of space for it.

Thanks!

rickbatey
9th April 2016, 12:58 AM
If there's room and enough ejector stroke, yes a lifter can be used. Beware that most tool shops won't put water in a lifter so that may lead to a gloss difference and if it over heats, the part sticking to it. Could you use a core pin on a cylinder and drive it in and out? It's up to you and the tool maker.
Rick.

Suhas
9th April 2016, 02:52 PM
Good Point by Rick.
However, in this case you are looking to make a hole correct? I think it should be OK if you say you have plenty of room.
Suhas

miuraj10
14th April 2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, helped give us some options for designing the part before going to the molder/toolmaker. I was able to get buy in for a lifter from the tool maker.

Luckily, the area of the lifter is on a very low cosmetic surface so we are okay.

-Joe