PDA

View Full Version : Release Coatings

joeprocess
20th January 2016, 04:16 PM
Armoloy XADC, Nibore, Nano-Mold Coating, other... What is your best choice for mold release for a PP part.

Part has an undercut that I was hoping to push off without rolling the edge. Mold Release spray works for 3-5 shots so I know I'm close.

JayDub
21st January 2016, 06:56 PM
I haven't worked much with PP, but the best over-all release coating I've worked with is nickel-teflon. Poly-Ond is the version I'm most familiar with, but there seem to be all kinds of companies offering it these days.

pjhall
21st January 2016, 08:32 PM
I'm a fan of the Nibore. I've tried the two part nano-coating from pcs, but I've never seen conclusive results.

Valentin Leung
3rd February 2016, 03:56 AM
We haven't found coating that would work for our usage, but we used a slipping agent (crodamide ER) in the material used at a very low percentage, our original objective was to get the parts slippery to reduce friction between PP parts , but we saw that it did helped the ejection too.
How bad is your undercut? How far away is the ejector pin/stripper plate off of it?

joeprocess
3rd February 2016, 01:11 PM
Thank you all. I have decided to go with Nyflon 25 from Armoloy. It is a nickel PTFE coating similar to nibore.

brentb
3rd February 2016, 01:30 PM
I haven't worked much with PP, but the best over-all release coating I've worked with is nickel-teflon. Poly-Ond is the version I'm most familiar with, but there seem to be all kinds of companies offering it these days.

Agree with J Dub for PP and PE molding!

KOM brent

joeprocess
3rd February 2016, 03:21 PM
It is a 0.010" undercut around the entire inside of the part. Using a stripper plate for ejection.

Pilot
8th February 2016, 04:20 PM
The coatings works quite good. But is here one point. In case, that you have a coating on pattern (desene) and this is damaged (scratch), you can remove the coating from affected area and repair the desene. But very often this point without coating is visible and tool has to be recoated. The costs per middle size tool 800x800 are +/- 5000 EUR (german price).