PDA

View Full Version : Part weight variation in Gas Assist parts

tbramel
17th November 2015, 06:56 AM
I have a friend that has asked for help. It concerns part weight variation (up to 10%) in a PP handle utilizing gas assisted injection molding. Since I no experience with gas assist, I thought I would post the question here. What would be the possible causes?

Airwinghma
17th November 2015, 02:41 PM
Greetings;

I had some jobs running gas assist for a Durango handle on an A and B pillar, we used nitrogen and two different gas units on a valve gated hot runner mold.

Inconsistent gas pressure would cause that issue, we had issues with the gas pins clogging up and needing changing on an regular basis.

Are you using gas bottles or a generator? check the pressure when the gas is being used and watch for variation.

I would also caution you to not only focus on the gas portion, has the IMM had any problems before? Could be other factors causing the issue, look for inconsistencies in the process.

Scott

Monomer
19th November 2015, 08:48 PM
Greetings;

Are you using gas bottles or a generator? check the pressure when the gas is being used and watch for variation.

Scott

We use gas assist injection molding with some part we currently run. We use a generator to generator our nitrogen and when the nitrogen generator is not keeping up/is broken we tend to get part weight variation.

Also I do agree the nitrogen injection pressure needs to be watched.