PDA

View Full Version : Injection molding on cables

moldman
12th June 2015, 08:43 AM
Dear Guys,
I am trying to mold a cable with crimped terminals wit PA to make an overmolded connector.
I have issues as the cable is getting cut in the gripping area of the tool after molding.
I have given enough relief such that the cable is not damaged when the two half of the tool close.
The issue has reduced but I still get faiulres.
Need Expert advice on what else I need to check, to fix this issue.

JayDub
12th June 2015, 03:39 PM
How much variation is there in cable diameter?
Consider adding a guide behind the shut-off to hold the cable straight and in line - if possible with less clearance than the shut-off so the cable is centered.

Airwinghma
12th June 2015, 05:04 PM
Greetings;

If the cable is a ferrous material have small magnets installed in the mold to hold them onto the back 1/2.

Scott

moldman
17th June 2015, 04:18 AM
Dear Guys, Thanks for your feedback.
I am working on adding a guide behind the shutoff and will update you after I get my results.
One expert told me that cleaning the mold frequently (once an hour) is recommended and cable cut failures can happen if the mold is not cleaned regularly.
Any comments??.

Airwinghma
17th June 2015, 07:17 PM
Greetings;

One expert told me that cleaning the mold frequently (once an hour) is recommended and cable cut failures can happen if the mold is not cleaned regularly.
Any comments??.

I appreciate tribal knowledge and always incorporate it into PM's and procedures after I perform a 5 WHY to identify the root cause and then problem solve to reduce/eliminate if possible. Ask your experts why you need to clean the mold and work to the reason, real reason not speculation.

Scott

nemanja
17th August 2015, 08:59 PM
Hi,

Can you tell me what type of material is jacket of cable, how big injection preassure is, what temperature of mold and material are?
I work with cables and wires for few years alredy, so pictures or demaged parts and shutoff part of tool will be hellpfull.

Best Regards.