PDA

View Full Version : Injection Mold Review

perrimeta_designs
11th November 2014, 04:49 AM
Hi Everyone!

I am new to injection molding but I am very interested in learning more. I am currently designing a part to be molded and have designed an injection mold to be made out of aluminum. I was hoping someone could give it a quick look and see if I am leaving anything out or if it would produce defective parts in any way.

I plan to produce around 5000 parts out of ABS for this mold.

I have attached a pdf and I also have step files if you would like to take a look I can email them to you.

Thanks!
Greg

JayDub
11th November 2014, 03:40 PM
Greg,

If this is a drafting school exercise, get hold of an introductory text book on mold design/construction (there is a very basic one by Doug Bryce). You can also look at mold suppliers’ websites such as DME or MUD to see how molds are put together.

If you are currently (newly?) employed by a mold shop, go look at some molds and talk to your tool-makers.

Regards & good luck.

perrimeta_designs
11th November 2014, 06:31 PM
Greg,

If this is a drafting school exercise, get hold of an introductory text book on mold design/construction (there is a very basic one by Doug Bryce). You can also look at mold suppliers’ websites such as DME or MUD to see how molds are put together.

If you are currently (newly?) employed by a mold shop, go look at some molds and talk to your tool-makers.

Regards & good luck.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response! I am doing this on my own at home, I just purchased a CNC machine and I want to learn more about how molds are made. I will definitely use the resources you provided.

I have done a little research I was just hoping to get some input from experienced mold makers to see if what I have designed is viable.

Thanks again

Suhas
11th November 2014, 09:43 PM
Hi,
Yes, Jay's suggestion is good. looks like you are a beginner at this and so you must take a 2 or 3 day course somewhere on mold design and part design each. That will help you. I am sorry my friend, but you will not get too much input here. There are too many things that will need to be written and asked. I do not want to discourage you in any way. Keep at it.
All the best,
Suhas

Pilot
12th November 2014, 04:04 PM
Yes, you need a course and good literature.
I can say, that tre runner is too small, and you will have a significant post molding deformation. (with normal cycletime) For this part you need a perfect cooling circuit design. Is Hard to say, but the gate position is probably NOK, But it depends on requirements for the part.

rickbatey
13th November 2014, 03:34 AM
You haven't added ejector pins, no ejector plate, ejection return pins, guide pins, no support pillars, no locating ring, there is no water channels, and the sprue has no taper so it will stick. There is also no cold slug well in the runner. Lastly what are the important part details? I.E. Part cosmetics, a certain dimension, impact, weather ability, UV or FR resistance.
Rick.

nemanja
5th February 2015, 05:11 AM
Hi,

look like you will have a tons of problem with ai inside. Rember alwas, before molding, mold is filled with air, who need to go out. try to put ejector pins or some sort of opening near points where material will close togheder and at far end of injection point. Or else you will have air bubbles at surface and inside molded part. In most of cases that is not aceptable by customer.
Try to imaine how material will flow inside and where can he can have problems. Is all abouth that.

Regards.