PDA

View Full Version : ASTM info

moldingppm
20th October 2014, 08:28 PM
Anyone have a customer come to them and give you an ASTM number? Can someone explain to me what the numbers mean? I'm having a hard time finding a material based on the fact that I don't understand these numbers. My material suppliers are having a tough time too.

Thanks

Suhas
20th October 2014, 09:41 PM
Hi,
ASTM is a standard of testing. So they have given you - for example, find a material with a tensile strength of 100,000 units tested with tensite testing procedure ASTM D638. Give us an example and we could probably help.
Suhas

moldingppm
21st October 2014, 12:17 AM
Suhas,

Thanks for the info as usual. The info I've been given is ASTMD4066 PA0160G22. I know it's 6/6 20% GF. But not sure what everything else is.

Suhas
21st October 2014, 02:00 PM
PPM,
My pleasure to help out. Are they saying this is the material they want? If so, I believe they just want to make sure that it is a molding grade material. You can get a Nylon for various purposes and processes. Not all can be molded. May be that is what it is. ASTM specifies that it is a molding grade based on certain tests (I think, never done it).
Sorry cant help more.
Suhas

moldingppm
21st October 2014, 04:50 PM
PPM,
My pleasure to help out. Are they saying this is the material they want? If so, I believe they just want to make sure that it is a molding grade material. You can get a Nylon for various purposes and processes. Not all can be molded. May be that is what it is. ASTM specifies that it is a molding grade based on certain tests (I think, never done it).
Sorry cant help more.
Suhas

Yes, this what it says on the drawing. So I'm just going to assume that the ASTMD4066 is meaning molding grade. And the pa number is the type of material? So I'm assuming as long as I use a 20% GF 66 I'm good?

Suhas
21st October 2014, 06:53 PM
Yes, PA is the abbreviation for Polyamide - the chemical name for Nylons. PA-66 would be a Nylon 66.
Regards,
Suhas