PDA

View Full Version : Part Design - Should Draft Angles be included ?

etanol
30th September 2014, 10:55 AM
when I'm design product on solidworks should i made the draft angles considering the ejection direction? or should i design it straight and the mold manufacturer will made the draft angels?
I'm asking that question because the draft is affected by the parting line position and that is determine by the mold manufacturer, isn't it?
thank you

Suhas
30th September 2014, 04:17 PM
Hi Etanol,
You should put the draft angles especially if you have long draw parts. Some parts can get real thin towards the end with even a 1/2 degree draft. You will have to then re-design the part. You know your product best, the mold maker duplicates it.
Regards,
Suhas

brentb
30th September 2014, 05:03 PM
when I'm design product on solidworks should i made the draft angles considering the ejection direction? or should i design it straight and the mold manufacturer will made the draft angels?
I'm asking that question because the draft is affected by the parting line position and that is determine by the mold manufacturer, isn't it?
thank you

Part Designer designs part, many times they don't include draft because it is easier to model, or don't know how important it is.
Mold Designer designs mold and should tell part designer if it can be molded,including draft angles,if part designer didn't include them or they are not great enough.
Mold Maker builds mold
Molder runs mold
Then there is the inspector....

KOM

brent

Josue
30th September 2014, 05:33 PM
I think you should consider drafts, other wise mold maker will follow your drawings only,,

Dugan
1st October 2014, 02:19 PM
In my experience it is best to consider the draft angles, wall thickness (uniformity) and radii during the design of the part. The mold maker will almost certainly adjust these during the mold construction, but if you get the design 90% there before going into tooling you will save your self potential headaches down the line.

Also, as mentioned above, if the mold maker does not know your design intent, they may assume you need as close to zero draft as possible which will add time and cost.

Also, solidworks makes it so simple to do these things there no reason not to. It will be faster and lower risk in the long run.

JayDub
2nd October 2014, 02:38 PM
thank you

This is why concurrent engineering was invented. As Dugan says, it comes down to design intent. On some features, the dimension will be critical and draft has to fall within part tolerance. On the other hand, for deep-draw features, draft will be essential to get the part off the core and the part needs to be essentially designed around it. Talk to the toolmakers before you commit to the final part design. Talk to them again before they start cutting steel. And if possible, make sure the mold designers are talking to the people who will mold the part.

Good mold-makers and molders will be able to manufacture pretty much anything you can draw, but if you communicate what you really need and put some thought into making their tasks simpler, it will save you time, headaches and money.

jckot
14th September 2020, 02:21 AM
When we already have the design intent, the next step is to cut every parts with an accurate cutting machine. In order to getting a perfect pattern that we design, talking to them again before they start cutting steel is necessary.A wide variety of cutting machines (http://dxtech.com/) are available.