PDA

View Full Version : Suhas Seminar

brentb
4th November 2011, 03:38 AM
Had the pleasure of attending Suhas' seminar yesterday on Robust Processes and Scientific Molding/Processing.
2 colleagues attended also and were as impressed as I was. A lot of ground was covered and a lot of information was given in this intensive 1 day event.

I have been wanting to attend a Suhas seminar for years, and this one was just outside of my hometown Chicago. I couldn't pass up this opportunity.

I highly recommend a Suhas seminar to people in injection molding.

Keep on molding!

brent

Suhas
4th November 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments Brent. As always it was a pleasure to see you again. Glad to know that your first class with me was liked by you and your team. I am especially glad that you the 'older molder' as you call yourself liked the 'newer stuff'. :)
Regards,
Suhas

brentb
5th November 2011, 03:01 AM
Suhas,
I was especially pleased when you mentioned that there are some parts that can't be molded " scientifically" or truly decoupled. I have found the same thing, especially since most of my career was in thin-wall, hot runner closures and packaging. Of course scientific processing is more than just decoupling, as your seminar shows. I sent you some pics of our Micro parts, they too as you acknowledged can't be "decoupled".
I also don't place too much emphasis on the viscosity test. The guys here do them, as well as cavity balance,and a quick pressure drop study,and of course gate freeze or seal. I only do a formal pressure drop if the customer requires one, or I see a high pressure required to (almost) fill.
I like to do the Process Windows;cosmetic,dimensional and control, we "older molders" used to call them MAD or molding area diagrams. A MAD was mostly limited to what we called "2nd Stage Pressure" or pack nowadays, and melt temp or mold temp in the case of SC resins. A MVD or molding volume diagram used melt and mold temp plus "2nd Stage pressure, and gave a 3 dimensional diagram.This was in the days prior to Excel type programs and PCs
I was wondering about the thread here on routine DOEs. Now I know what you mean. I used to do a DOE to solve a specific problem or set of problems. Launsby's DOW Wisdom made that easier than Excel. I had the trial version that somehow would not expire. My computer died before the software. I bought the book/CD, put it did expire and I hope we purchase the NAUTILUS software from you soon. It ties up a lot of things in one neat package for the molder.

Suhas, you have done a lot for the industry, keep it up!

Keep On Molding!

brent