PDA

View Full Version : saving project

Josue
13th January 2014, 05:04 PM
Hi
I want your opinnion on this issue

Im molding PP+25%GF resin,, Currently we dry this resin 2hrs at 180F,,, i would like to stop dry this resin,,to save some energy consumption, because cosmetic its not an issue on this parts,,, I think PP not catch much humidity,, im thinking to make some Qc test etc.,, what dop you think about processing changes or Qc problems could appear if i do this?,,, i just molding around 50 shots each mold and didnt fount any trouble, but would like to heard your oppinion

Note: Also im using recycle at 25% ration on this parts,,,,

best regards

apac84
13th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Hi
I want your opinnion on this issue

Im molding PP+25%GF resin,, Currently we dry this resin 2hrs at 180F,,, i would like to stop dry this resin,,to save some energy consumption, because cosmetic its not an issue on this parts,,, I think PP not catch much humidity,, im thinking to make some Qc test etc.,, what dop you think about processing changes or Qc problems could appear if i do this?,,, i just molding around 50 shots each mold and didnt fount any trouble, but would like to heard your oppinion

Note: Also im using recycle at 25% ration on this parts,,,,

best regards

My company has use PP+20GF and we never dried it. I would think the additional 5% would not hurt.

Suhas
13th January 2014, 11:15 PM
Hello Josue,
You do not need to dry PP unless you have an additive in there that needs drying. On humid days, if you are getting splay on your parts then you may need surface drying, may be only 100 deg F for about 1 hour is good.
Regards,
Suhas

Josue
14th January 2014, 07:32 PM
Hello Josue,
You do not need to dry PP unless you have an additive in there that needs drying. On humid days, if you are getting splay on your parts then you may need surface drying, may be only 100 deg F for about 1 hour is good.
Regards,
Suhas

Ok, thank you..

rickbatey
15th January 2014, 06:00 PM
We have tested several PP resins, some with glass, others mineral or even rubber impact modifiers. We have stopped drying all but one due to glass/mineral filler and highly cosmetic part. I think you need to run a complete test with at least 24 hours of production.
Rick.

jamesmount
29th January 2014, 06:24 AM
I think that you should run a complete test production. We have controlled drying all hence one due to mineral & glasses filter and highly camical parts

Josue
29th January 2014, 07:20 PM
I think that you should run a complete test production. We have controlled drying all hence one due to mineral & glasses filter and highly camical parts

Thank you all, I already present the proposal, and was accepted, we check visual and strenght test , we will save around $7K usd/mth,, however as you mention I will check for a long period test,,,,thank you

Josue
12th February 2014, 07:33 PM
We start with this project, 1 week ago,, so far we had only one issue,,

according with technicians in one product appear a bubble, its a plastic part with a circular orifice , 1" deep, the bubble appear inside of the hole,,, and technician say, as soon as he use a Dry material the bubble disapear,, whats your oppinion,,,?/
any way I will check by my self,

rickbatey
13th February 2014, 05:36 PM
The bubble might be due to a small amount of moisture trapped in the resin; or it could be that the molding conditions used assist in creating this defect. Some small adjustments might make it too run well, some days Techs are so busy fighting issues and changing molds they can't spend the time required to process out a small defect. Best to test again yourself and get to the root cause.
Rick.

Josue
13th February 2014, 09:56 PM
yep, Im agree, will do it, and let you guys know

best regards.