PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of RV Curve Test?

brentb
5th December 2013, 05:38 PM
Plastics Technology has an interesting article authored by two people from Beaumont (Melt Flipper) Technology, by Dave Hoffman, who I have had the pleasure of knowing for a few years and John Beaumont. This article really hit home, mostly because I am " anti-overly anal" thinking, not because I am nearly as smart as the two mention molders.
I will post the link and would welcome other Molder's thoughts and comments, especially those of Suhas.

http://www.beaumontinc.com/files/plasticstechnology_noads3.pdf

While my motto is "Keep on Molding" I also like the Thoreau quote of "Simplify, Simplify, Simplify"

KOM
brent

Suhas
9th December 2013, 02:33 AM
Hello Brent and All,
I read the article when it came out. I think it is an interesting read, a little confusing in some parts. (The graphs and the text not being next to each other did not help either.) John is a brilliant person and he said that there are some more studies is going to publish will wait for those. I am going to reserve some thoughts for later.
I think the viscosity study on the machine is a good study to see where one needs to set the injection speeds. But there are too many exceptions - insert molding, cosmetics - splay - burns - shorts (yes shorts!), shearing of the material, profiling of speeds, % shot size used and so on. I do the study and I inject the plastic 'as fast as I need' for that job. It is not necessarily what the curve tells me to use.
Will post soon but in the meanwhile any some other inputs.
Suhas