PDA

View Full Version : Templates for RFQ

Mark Lewis
21st November 2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Injection Molding online forum.

I have just joined this forum after trying for many weeks to complete a excel spreadsheet for calculating RFQ. Let me explain a little about myself first of all. Originally I am from a Quality and Production background , I have been in the plastics industry now for over 15 years. But recently due to Staff and responsibility changes , I have had to start completing RFQ for new and present customers. I have completed many formulations on excel to assist me, but after checking the calculations I end up with an incorrect selling price. I have included all the necessary points:

Tool size
Tool type
Number of cavities
Cycle time
Material cost ( masterbatch & colour % )
Weight of part
Weight of sprue
Scrap %
Profit margins.
Infact I feel I have covered everything that is needed to complete the RFQ. But I am not confident in the end figure, Also I feel that the actual "SZUM" / formulation" on the spreadsheet is not correct.

My question is
Does anyone have a standard format , that I could use to check against my Excel spreadsheet. As basically I have no references myself, to check against the "new format" so I am unable to know if I am in the right direction or the wrong direction.

I would be grateful for any feedback , as for weeks on end ( if not now 2 months) I have been trying to complete a spreadsheet/ formulation but I am rather in the dark so far,

Regards
Mark

Suhas
21st November 2013, 05:51 PM
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your post here. In regards to your question, to begin with I have had a lot of companies ask me for the same sheet. But there is not std sheet or format since every ones machine types and mold types are different. Example, we did a lot of insert molding and so the cost of the insert (another complicated calculation) was a huge factor. In my last job before I started out on my own, they had never done any insert molding stuff. So standardization is difficult. Going back to your post, when you say you are not confident about some calculations can you share what those are and we will try and help.
Regards,
Suhas

Mark Lewis
24th November 2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Suhas
Thank you for the reply
Actually I might have cracked it , but what I could do is to give an example and see what you guys give as a price

2 cavity tool
Material cost: 2,71 Euro per kilo
Weight of part: / 1 cavity+ 50% sprue = 72 gram /// full shot weight 144gram
Shot cycle time : 50 seconds
Machine size 450ton
Scrap rate : 5%

Selling price after the above is calculated is ?

After working out the basic information , profit and overhead rates are added.
I have completed this for many products, but as I have no reference calculation I can only assume
This is my problem Suhas :(

Suhas
25th November 2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Mark,
Let me try.To begin with, what is the difference between full shot - 144 gms and 1 cav + 50% sprue = 72 gms?
What is the machine rate per hour?
What is the operator and technician rate?
Basically, you may already know this - you have to consider (ALL the hourly costs for man power - operator, technician, engineer, material handler,) + (all equipment cost - machine, dryer, thermolator, robot, fixtures,) + overhead (scheduler, shipping, receiving, packaging, billing, etc, etc.
I have no idea of the rates by the way :)
Hope this helps.
Suhas

Mark Lewis
28th November 2013, 08:40 PM
So Suhas
you failed with this one , lets try 2 more :-D

Do you know of any reputable Tool Makers in China , I am looking to have 17 tools make ( hot runners) but obviously quality and quantity must be first. I would request strong references from any Tool maker.

Also I am looking for material types :
PAGF30 PA6GF30
POM
PC/ABS
POM
PA66
RUB92314

Any suppliers would be quiet useful to me , I am in Hungary, so the closer the better.

Good luck with your next challenge Suhas :-DDD