PDA

View Full Version : Molder Assesment Tests

brentb
18th October 2013, 03:42 PM
Recently I took some online skill assessment tests from the 3 “big” training companies (no names here). I met with varying degrees of success, but It was evident that I have much to learn. I then asked some very knowledgeable friends take the tests, and they had similar results. The Molders did the best when taking the assessment tests from the training companies they had taken the training program from.
There was even a “Master Blaster 1st Class” that never got 100% right, and he had taken all 3 courses, including traveling for a few weeks to take one class “on campus”
I have two questions (maybe 3):
Are these tests designed to make you get some wrong so you buy the course?
Are they designed like “Do you want to be a millionaire” where it is almost impossible to know about all the categories?
Have you tried these assessment tests? Did you get 100% Fess up no shame in admitting we are all still students of Molding (and life)!
Suhas I would value your input on this!

Keep on Molding and learning

brent

Suhas
19th October 2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Brent,
I guess because everyone and therefore every company has its own idiosyncrasies and ways of doing certain procedures and protocols, I think they are all fixated with those concepts. So, I guess if I ask one the big 3 you mention above a question about the dimensional or cosmetic process window, or overdrying - they may not have the correct or near-to-correct answer. These are some concepts that I have worked on and come up with. (The process window is mentioned in the old Inj Mld Handbook by the great Rosato - but I have taken it further). Another example is the concept of adding charge delay time when finding your 95% fill - I had read almost all texts and had never seen that - another one of my ideas. If you had asked the others 2-3 years ago, chances are a they did not know. I did however recently read it in another person's article.
On the same token, if you show me a injection cycle cavity pressure graph I may not hit all the details that another company may show you. I think if you get about 85% of the answers correctly you are a 'master blaster' (using your terms :) ).
Another issue with molding is also that there is still some art involved and some theories are not proven. How do you make the part bigger? - Increase cooling time? the answer is not Yes nor is it No - The answer is Maybe. It depends on the part. Even in the same part, the length may be influenced by cooling time but not the width.
So here are the answers to your questions
(1) Are these tests designed to make you get some wrong so you buy the course?
I am sure there is a marketing element to all this. I have seen people being totally elated when they have told me that they have got a certificate of completion from so and so. I am also sure these companies add some difficult and ambiguous questions.
(2) Are they designed like “Do you want to be a millionaire” where it is almost impossible to know about all the categories?
Good one! I am sure this is also true. By the way, most people/companies want to be millionaires and so they end up 'doing what it takes'.
(3) Have you tried these assessment tests? Did you get 100% Fess up no shame in admitting we are all still students of Molding (and life)!
I personally have not seen these and so I do not know the level of these tests. But I think if I took them, I am almost positive that I will NOT get 100% answers right - what they call right. There will be some debatable answers and/or some stuff I still need to learn. I do not consider myself a know-it-all in molding or anything else. (I have never attempted to change tires on my car - I am sure I do not know how - Geico!)
What do you think?
Suhas