PDA

View Full Version : Process/Layout Sheet

xtremeskier97
16th October 2013, 09:41 PM
I'm not a molder, but I am in charge of finding a new injection molder for our items.

I'm wondering, is an Injection Molder required by any sort of law/statute to divulge the process/layout sheet to the customer? Such as needed to update their records for ISO?

Thanks for any and all help!

moldingppm
16th October 2013, 09:47 PM
I don't believe its a law/statue that you have to, I have no idea about ISO. But I don't use others setup sheets when getting a new project anyway, only if I have a problem. The condition of the others machine plays a big part, if they have a bad check ring, or seals have blowby, then that can make the parts vary heavily.

Suhas
17th October 2013, 04:14 AM
Agreed with moldingppm. There is no law. It may be too late now, but as a practice, you must always ask for the copy of the process sheets and also do an audit to see if that is what they are running to. Any good molder will not with hold that info.
Suhas

xtremeskier97
17th October 2013, 06:22 PM
The only info they are giving me off the process sheets is the cycle time and press size. All other info they are with-holding. And get this, they are the ones letting US go! It's not like I'm going out to try and undercut them and nix them. They are nixing US! You'd think they'd give us what we want to get rid of us. And this is a VERY large molding company that many of you have probably heard of. We are just too small for their operation I guess.

Oh, and the reason i want them is so that we can get some quotes from other molders without having to move our molds all over creation. Just 1 of our molds is over 3,000 lbs...and we have about 6 that we have to move.

moldingppm
18th October 2013, 12:46 AM
The only info they are giving me off the process sheets is the cycle time and press size. All other info they are with-holding. And get this, they are the ones letting US go! It's not like I'm going out to try and undercut them and nix them. They are nixing US! You'd think they'd give us what we want to get rid of us. And this is a VERY large molding company that many of you have probably heard of. We are just too small for their operation I guess.

Oh, and the reason i want them is so that we can get some quotes from other molders without having to move our molds all over creation. Just 1 of our molds is over 3,000 lbs...and we have about 6 that we have to move.

Sounds fishy. But, I'm not surprised at all.
(Not to pry but) Did you have your work quoted elsewhere? If not, I'd be happy to quote it for you.

moldingppm
18th October 2013, 12:48 AM
Agreed with moldingppm. There is no law. It may be too late now, but as a practice, you must always ask for the copy of the process sheets and also do an audit to see if that is what they are running to. Any good molder will not with hold that info.
Suhas

Most molders won't give that info out, I've pretty much never got set-up sheets except when I was doing over-flow molding. Any good molder doesn't need others set-ups and can make their own (I'm joking of course!)

xtremeskier97
18th October 2013, 07:41 PM
Sounds fishy. But, I'm not surprised at all.
(Not to pry but) Did you have your work quoted elsewhere? If not, I'd be happy to quote it for you.

I am having it quoted locally (less than 1/2 mile from our offices). We are in NW Louisiana. Shipping from PA would probably be more than it was shipping from WI at our current molder.

moldingppm
19th October 2013, 01:27 AM
No problem. Just figured I'd throw it out there!

processtech
14th November 2013, 10:33 PM
Hello,
Would set up sheet not need to be provided with validation report for the tool, from moulder to customer?

Pilot
16th November 2013, 03:57 PM
Hi, this is sensitive question.
Do not ask moulder about process setting sheet copy. It is no praxe. But according ISO you can (have to) check, is the setting parameters are set according material sheet or any recommendation of material producer. They have to show to you this corelation. If you will find any nonconformity, ask moulder for explanation (because sometimes you have to go over recommended melting temp.) Next ask him for Cpk and SPC for product. This have to be available for you. on the base of SPC you will see history of process and you can compare it. Also is usefull to check one paramater from Control plan, if is in FMEA and if is measurable (weight, distance) ask for SPC.
Anyhow If the moulder do not want to cooperate, you can make a trouble to him as a auditor :-)

Because in Automotive is valid "Customer on the first place"

Pilot
16th November 2013, 04:01 PM
And about layout.

You as a customer can validate, that your product will be running only on one machine without swaping. You can ask layout, because according ISO all movements of the machine has to be report to customer in advance. Customer can agree or refuse it. After moving of machine on another place (or tool on another machine) must be product validated by sampling.