PDA

View Full Version : Mold change activity

Josue
13th September 2013, 07:08 PM
Hi,
I want to compare our mold change activity vs another companys,, or some body ideas or praxis

currently my company do the changes by using a moving crane,, we dont have a travel hoist,, and we use a manual allen wrench tools,,, so far we spend around 60 min avg(280 ~350 tn) to change the mold and restart the new model,,(pcs to pcs)

its a fact that we wont install a travel hoist or magnetic clamps,,,some body could recomend a web site to check some ideas, to implement etc?

some body use a neumatic tool to tight fix the bolts?,,,

how many min do you take to change your molds in a similar tng mach?

regards

brentb
13th September 2013, 07:38 PM
Same resin?
Same Color?
Same nozzle?
Same ejector bars and type (tie-in or no)?
Same water hose type and fittings?
Standardize where possible.
Beware of impact guns and air wfrenches

AND

Keep on molding!

brent

Josue
13th September 2013, 07:57 PM
Same resin?
Same Color?
Same nozzle?
Same ejector bars and type (tie-in or no)?
Same water hose type and fittings?
Standardize where possible.
Beware of impact guns and air wfrenches

AND

Keep on molding!

brent

yes,, we already standarize,, but its not enough,,,we would like something different technics,,,,yes brent keep molding from Mexico,,,, this forum its better than Imnet..

Suhas
16th September 2013, 04:17 PM
Josue,
I think you have already looked into a lot. A few years ago there was a very good article in one of the magazines on this. May be you can look for it. It was the large newspaper-magazine type publication. (not plastics news). An online search may find it. I will look through my stuff and if I find it, I will post it.
Regards,
Suhas

moldingppm
4th October 2013, 06:21 PM
Look into hex sockets and ratchets instead of allen wrenches.
Use ratcheting box wrenches for ejector bolts.
Magnetic clamps scare me, I don't trust them for some reason.
I've used impact guns before, it really didn't help speed and it is not needed as long as you have clean threads in your platen, no hang-ups.

If I'm going from-to the same material and everything is standardized, depending on how fast I need to go, I can do it 20-30mins (80T) and 30-45 (400T).

rickbatey
5th October 2013, 01:11 AM
I've changed a 2000t press, part to part, in 25 minutes. No resin change, no quick clamps, waiting on mold heats, eoat change and restart.
Here's my tips: start on resin, barrel, NOT mold! Run hopper empty by creating sheet with how many shots mold "X" runs in press "Y" then know when to turn off loader. Barrel can be purged if need be as old mold is out but pay attention to resins and heat ranges. Stage mold at press, preheat steel and manifolds to save time. Have all sprays and supplies ready at press too. Make no one has to walk around press during change, same tool on both sides. As soon as safe, connect and turn on mold heats. Stay focused to finish change and stay at press for 10-15 minutes after water is turned on. Leaks take forever to clean up.
I've worked places where we left certain resins (pa) or colors ( clear or white) in a press. It works great if you can.
Rick.

kelly c
5th October 2013, 02:28 AM
Hi Josue, I work with a 330 ton machine, The key to quick pcs to pcs change is .. clean threads on both bolts and platen
I have multiple new boxes of HEX style bolts ,..a high quality long handle 1/2 inch ratchet and a good set of clamps and washers. Our company also has a helper , with a tap in hand , that clears all threads in the platten while I am changing molds, or whenever they get the chance.
Second, I always clear my barrel,run some ethylene thru, then change my heats.
I have found on a machine this size ..You just gotta do it yourself !! Helpers just slow everything down!!
I did three part to part mold changes today , one from poly pro ,to nylon 33% in 30 mins.. the second to Santoprene, had the mold watered up and ready to go in 20 mins ,..had to wait on barrel heats to come down..so I was making parts in 40 mins! The third ..I was on to 50% Gf nylon with a electrically heated mold controller hook up mat change ..and of course nozzle change.... took 65 mins !
Having the tools, people, materials, and equipment all READY TO GO is KEY !!! oh I use an overhead moveable crane. :D

rickbatey
6th October 2013, 12:11 AM
I left one very good point: you said that you have standardized everything, but I bet not mold clamping plates and mold mounting methods. Create standards for clamping plate widths based on press clamp ranges. Have these plates either slotted or drilled so that bolts can be run through the plates without the need for clamps and heel bolts. All you will need are bolts the correct length and one hard washer per bolt. BTW-you're using locating rings to center the molds, correct? Now the reason for bolts is that even if loose, since they go through the clamping plates, the mold can't fall out until the majority of them are removed or sheared off! Much faster to use the same bolts on each mold, and not have to hunt clamps, the right style-size one, then a stack of washers, then flip the clamps over and swap heel bolts 4 times!
Rick.

Josue
7th October 2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks every body for your advices,,, I notice that our set up guys doent have a complete set of tools, so they wait until the other person finish,, so we are loosing value time in this issue,, also, set up guys doesnt follow the procedure, some times dont use ratches, ,,so I will be more focus in this points to improve the final results, basically the actidut for the job its a clear issue,,, thank you

Pilot
16th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Hi ALL,

what is a toolchange time for you? from last good part to first good part?

MINDA
2nd December 2013, 10:49 AM
Hiii guys this is minda ... Have you guys ever heared about smed - single digit minute exchange of dies. This system is very much time saving

brentb
2nd December 2013, 04:08 PM
Japanese concept developed for metal stamping presses etc.
Keep on molding (but not stamping)
brent