PDA

View Full Version : replacing threaded inserts possible?

steve0suprem0
11th September 2013, 03:16 AM
Hey folks. I Have what feels like a really stupid question: is it possible to reliably and consistently remove inserts AND replace them?

Here's some context: I machine tools at my shop, for about a year now. No real molding knowledge. Anyway, my boss brought me 16 very expensive parts that Somehow were molded with locking threaded inserts. Customer doesn't like locking inserts. So I've been tasked with removing and replacing these things. Any suggestions are welcome, along with derisive declarations that this is a futile endeavor. I expect them, because that's how I see it. Like I said, little experience, so I'd love to be proven wrong. Thanks.

Chris
11th September 2013, 02:37 PM
hello,

If they were molded in the part, then i would take a heat staker, soldering iron and heat them up then thread a screw into them and pull them out.

you can also put new ones in using the soldering iron.

steve0suprem0
11th September 2013, 10:51 PM
thanks for the reply. yeah, that's how we (they. the 2nd ops folks.) normally get them out, a soldering iron. i've never seen it not mangle the part, though, and i just can't for the life of me imagine inserting a new one without the same.

can you provide any techniques we might not have considered?

Chris
12th September 2013, 12:02 PM
sounds like you need a higher wattage soldering iron, doesnt sound like the insert is hot enough if it is mangling the part.

rickbatey
12th September 2013, 03:04 PM
Ultrasonic handheld welder. Not cheap but most molding shops have one or so around for those oops moments.
Rick.

steve0suprem0
12th September 2013, 07:29 PM
okay, thanks for more replies. if this were reddit, i'd upvote you all.

i'll definitely suggest a better soldering iron. last night i found out we have a thermal press, which seems work. as far as the sonic welder, we have one, but it's not hand held. it's a big ass contraption, like the size of an obese weimaraner.