PDA

View Full Version : Injection molded guitar bodies

FarnellGuitars
8th September 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm looking to take over a company that makes guitars from injection molded high-impact polystyrene. Turns out, it makes pretty nice guitars...lightweight, resonant, economical.

He's been outsourcing production of the body shells, but I'm looking to set up a shop locally to begin producing them. Ideally, I'd like to have the ability to create my own molds onsite as well. I want to do a lot of experimentation and research, but unlike wooden guitars, I can't just carve a body by hand to try out a new design. So I guess my questions are:

What sort of machine should I be looking for in order to mold something roughly guitar-sized?
What other sorts of material may be appropriate (or even better)?
I've heard mention of using epoxy or other materials for limited-use molds. Is this what I'm looking for if I want to make a prototype or test a new design?
Is making my own molds onsite a realistic proposition (I understand I'd need metal milling equipment)? If not, why?
What are the limitations of injection molding?
What sort of hidden costs do I need to be aware of once I've purchased and installed my equipment?

This is a new area for me, but I'm finding it fascinating, and I'm eager to learn all I can about this process. I've been watching youtube videos and reading articles about the process, but they tend to be somewhat lightweight. I know there's a lot more to this process than meets the eye.

Thanks for any answers you can give! I hope to learn about this field, and in turn, contribute back to this forum over time.

Edit: After a few hours' research, it's looking like I should be exploring 3d printing for my prototyping needs. If anyone has any insight or advice to the contrary, I welcome it.

brentb
9th September 2013, 06:33 PM
Yes, 3d is the way to go. I have a friend who makes "Strat" type bodies by machining out of ULTEM blanks. You might consider buying PS flat stock and machining, also try other resins such as acetal.
Lots of money to invest in injection molding, unless you envision making thousands of guitars/month

Keep on molding (and picking)
brent