PDA

View Full Version : Injection molding machine and LOCKOUT TAGOUT procedure

Pilot
10th July 2013, 06:16 PM
Hi experts,
I would like(I have to :-() to instal Lockout Tagout in complete factory. We have a lot of IMMs on site, but not only.

What is your experience with lockout tagout procedure on IMM machine? Are you using this? Coud you recommend to me something special?

Thank you in advance ..... Pilot

moldingppm
16th July 2013, 08:26 PM
Are you asking what you have to do for lockout?
What we do is lock the machine out (at machine and at buss duct if possible), tie a tag stating the lockout, date, name. Then a key goes to the office and the spare goes to the supervisor.

This what you're looking for?

brentb
16th July 2013, 08:40 PM
We LOTO for repair/maintenance. Not for mold changes. Some molders LOTO big presses for mold changes where/while heads or bodies are in the presses.
Granulators are LOTO'd
Does anyone routinely LOTO for mold changes on small presses? Then how would you change the mold?

KOM

brent

moldingppm
16th July 2013, 08:49 PM
We LOTO for repair/maintenance. Not for mold changes. Some molders LOTO big presses for mold changes where/while heads or bodies are in the presses.
Granulators are LOTO'd
Does anyone routinely LOTO for mold changes on small presses? Then how would you change the mold?

KOM

brent

Is this towards me?

I should have specified, machines are only LOTO when being serviced or repaired. Not for mold changes. Granulators are LOTO for the same subject.
I don't see how you could lock out a machine while doing a mold change, you ( I know I am) are constantly changing things in the computer/die height and such.

tim12871
17th July 2013, 02:32 AM
I have always used LOTO when performing any work on the machine. All the companies I have worked for use LOTO at the pump motor stop or e-stop. If maintenance is replacing pumps motors or anything related to boards the main is tripped at the press..

Pilot
17th July 2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks to all for reply.

I now, what the LOTO procedure is. Everybody know, how it works, but in case of IMM I would like to start discussion about this. Are exists different opinions. As has been mentioned above, some "auditors" required to use a LOTO for toolchanges, while the operator is inside between tool halves. Other "auditor" required to use LOTO each time, when operator is going to remove for ex. sprue from the tool.

All this requirements are strange for me. OK, in case of small machines cca smaler than 900tons of clamping force, is not necessary to go into the machine, but for large IMMs you have to go inside.

Accordings LOTO procedure is not necessary to protect things, which are done often and where is exist another protection etc..... but this is a question :-)

If you have a experience with some usefull, share it :-) ..... as usually

thanks

brentb
19th July 2013, 05:02 PM
Is this towards me?

I should have specified, machines are only LOTO when being serviced or repaired. Not for mold changes. Granulators are LOTO for the same subject.
I don't see how you could lock out a machine while doing a mold change, you ( I know I am) are constantly changing things in the computer/die height and such.

Not directed to you I meant those BIG BIG presses where people are actually inside the platens hooking up things.

KOM
brent

Rotisiv
11th September 2013, 01:52 AM
When performing LOTO's the source of energy must be LOTO cannot use E-Stop or Stop push button as LOTO point. Whenever entering into an area of the machine where a body can come in contact with a moving part there must be a LOTO performed. In a hydraulic system the power pack should be LOTO and any residual energy be dissipated. For pneumatic systems a double block and bleed is performed. There has to be a written energy control procedure that follows the with all hazards associated with the LOTO and any required PPE. There is only one key for the lock and the person that installed the lock removes the lock. If the person that installed the lock has left the area that person has to be located before the lock can be removed. If the person who performed the LOTO is no longer on the job site and proven then the lock can be removed by a person who has the authorization to do so. Since there is only one key for the lock and the person who performed the LOTO is not available to remove the lock then: 1. That person has to come back to the job site to remove the lock or 2. A person with the authority wil remove the lock by any method other than a key since the person who has the key is not on the job suite. Energy control procedures has to follow the OSHA standard for general industry 29CFR1910.147 .

Pilot
16th November 2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Rotisiv,¨

This is perfect description for LOTO procedure, but can I have a question?

Must be provided LOTO procedure, when operator is going between platens (press 2700 tons) to remove broken sprue ftrom the tool?

According your definition is a answer YES, but make it sense?

jamesmount
30th November 2013, 06:01 AM
Hi experts,
I would like(I have to :-() to instal Lockout Tagout in complete factory. We have a lot of IMMs on site, but not only.

What is your experience with lockout tagout procedure on IMM machine? Are you using this? Coud you recommend to me something special?

Thank you in advance ..... Pilot

According to me By the help of LOCKOUT TAGOUT we can give the instructions the mechanics have to follow when they do repairs.And lOCKOUT TAGOUT Procedure when the machine only has one energy supply that’s easy to identify and lock out.

Rotisiv
7th December 2013, 01:03 AM
In response to the question of removal of a broken sprue; if going between the platen and any part of the persons body can be caught due to platen movement then a LOTO must be performed and any residual energy must be dissipated. Residual energy can be mechanical such as a compressed or stretched springs, or hydraulics such as an accumulator, in pneumatics an air tank. In a hydraulic or pneumatic system just a closure of a valve is not considered an isolation because of leakage or blow can occur. This requires a double block and bleed. The bleed in a hydraulic would be bleed back to tank, in a pneumatic system bleed to atmosphere. If there is one point in a system that can be used for electrical energy isolation that is allowable but any residual energy still has to be dissipated.

Pilot
11th December 2013, 06:30 PM
Oh, it is nice. I am afraid, that in this case (broken sprue in the tool) I have to move injection unit from tool, switch off engine and place lock, switch off Hot runners and place lock and wait than the tool will cool down(is a possible plastic explosion from nozzle in the tool), Next I have to install special equipment on gas springs in the tool. It means, that from 10 seconds activity I can have a 5 hours issue. .. .. am I right? ...... and what I will do, when it happens two times per day? In this cas I can close the shop.... :-(