PDA

View Full Version : new to injection molding

ronny
21st May 2013, 06:34 PM
Hello,

I currently manufacture game machines and alot of parts i buy from china because they are only suppliers i have found that would work with me on small projects.. of course the quality is crap and i really want to start doing it myself on alot of the small plastic parts.

what is the cheapest way i can get setup with a small machine?? i used to work in manufacturing years ago at company that made plastic pipe and auto parts so i am familiar with the big industrial type machinery. but i want to have just small unit for hobby type use to make the parts i need..

If i could find a hobbyist that would be willing to make my small orders for me at good price i could just buy from one of you guys??

anybody willing to help point me in some direction? the game machines i make are arcade type machines like coin pushers and quarter pusher and multicade arcade games .. i dont order alot of parts and most are just t molding type parts and spacers etc..I make alot of the plastic parts now with my cnc and just cut full sheets of polyethylene, but this only works with stiff flat parts..you guys can see my machines i make at www.blazingquarters.com and www.classicmulticade.com ...Im new here so im not gonna post those as links cause i know thats probably against rules if im a new poster..

I appreciate any help from you guys..Im in a lot of other forums about sign making and vending machines so im familiar with forum rules about posting links.

thanks

ronny

Suhas
21st May 2013, 07:02 PM
Hi Ronny,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for abiding by the rules. Looks like in your case, you do not have a lot of quantity - correct? What is your geographical location? If you are in Southern California I could suggest some molders. If you want to get your own machine ... not a bad idea either, if you have a lot of different parts, with similar sizes and low quantities. Make a list your parts, their yearly quantities and their part weights. Take this to some local molders in your area and get bids form them. I think that will be a good start.
Suhas

ronny
21st May 2013, 07:19 PM
yeah most of my parts are small quantity..I am just really creative about designing stuff (lots and lots of hairbrain ideas! lol) and i think of great ideas all the time and would love to learn the process..

I have a idea for a led lit part i want to produce as well..

I am in TN but when i approach molders in my area about anything they want large quantitys or they really dont want to talk to me.. I can get on skype at night and alibaba and have 50 chinese companies say they can get me a sample in 30 days ?? why is it that all of these companies complain that americans wont buy our own products and its easier to get something made in china that from the guy down the road.. really irks me!!

if you can point me to some hobby guys here in TN that i can meet up with or maybe give me a idea of what i need to buy to get started small scale myself i would appreciate it alot..I really like the idea of injection molding but dont know where to start..

thank you
ron