PDA

View Full Version : Injection Moulding Thesis

barbo
2nd May 2013, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Starting by introducing myself, I used to work for 3 years in a large injection moulding department as a process technician where i just gained and have a good knowledge about injection moulding machines, from large tons to small ones like 'Babyplast'. Basically, i used to change moulds, set machines and material and make sure to keep my cell running. Lately, i just stopped working and completed my studies and actually im doing a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Next Year I have to do my thesis and, since i have a good experience in this field and since i'm even interested in injection moulding, i was thinking to do my thesis which is related with injection moulding. However, I don't have such specific ideas what i should do. Maybe do you know of any projects or modifications related with injection moulding that should be good for my thesis ?

Best Regards
Barbo

Pilot
2nd May 2013, 04:06 PM
Hi,
Injection molding is realy large space and a lot of people are thinking, that it is easy process. (they have strong argument - It must be easy, everybody has a injection machine in garage.)
If I can make a proposal for you, try to focus your thesis on future or on a open issues in the process or some specifics of IM process. May be:
Mucell + talk filed materials vs. Mucell and glass fibres
GIT vs. water
or PP with Long glass fibre vs. dimmensions (iso/anisotropy)
or as has been mentioned in another thread on this forum - direct cooling of the tool by nitrogen
or something else :-)

regards Pilot

brentb
3rd May 2013, 01:58 AM
You can find many ideas on this forum, such as 98.5% full by weight or volume. You could research that and argue that it is supported science or dogma. Maybe you can begin to settle the argument.

Welcome to the world of Molding and "Keep on Molding"

brent

Suhas
3rd May 2013, 02:58 PM
Agreed with Brent and Pilot. There is HUGE amount of work that needs to be done. I do research on the side myself. Once you get into college and register I will be happy to suggest topics to you based on the resources you have access to. Let us know what school you are going to register with.
Suhas

barbo
3rd May 2013, 06:23 PM
hi, thanks guys.

I'm doing my bachelors with Fraunhofer University.

I was thinking to do something to save energy consumption. I used to work in an injection department where there are over 200 IM machines so, energy consumption is a big issue. Do you have any ideas about this issue ? preferably something which is related with Mechanical as im doing my bachelors in mechanical engineering and even dont have such a big experience in electrical.

Thank in advance.
Barbo

brentb
4th May 2013, 02:01 AM
You could compare different clamping mechanisms and their energy consumption, with or without energy saving options or retrofitted devices.
KOM
brent

Pilot
7th May 2013, 05:51 PM
Yes, Brent has a good idea.
Next idea could be comparison of electric machines vs. hydraulic
or standard control of el. engines vs. frequency control (Syncrospeed or sililar products).
Or influence (optimaliaztion) of injection molding params. on el. consumption.

etc...

barbo
7th May 2013, 07:13 PM
hi, thanks guys for your suggestions ..

well, lately i went to talk to the engineer where i used to work about an projects, and some points that we came out with where:

- to find a use of the heated water of the injection machines after the process and
- to solve the problem of the air leaks in the injection department

As i already mentioned, this is a large injection department and as we all know air costs money, lots of money. So i was thinking to make a study whats leading to these air leaks and what can be done to solve (or minimize) this problem.

What's your opinions about this guys ?

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards
Barbo

brentb
8th May 2013, 04:08 AM
COMPRESSED AIR COSTS MUCHO MONEY! Leaks waste a ton of money Maintenance magazines feature this on a regular basis, since it is so important.
Molding plants have been capturing excess heat for years, not just from molding presses but chillers and, yes, heat generated by air compressors.
You should have no trouble finding reference material on these subjects.

KOM

brent

barbo
8th May 2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks Brent, hopefull it will be accepted from my college now.

Are there any magazines related with injection molding and compressed air ? do you know any magazine names ? and any websites which are useful regards this topic ?

Thanks in advance
Barbo

brentb
9th May 2013, 12:24 AM
Maintenance Technology Magazine should fit the bill.

KOM

brent