PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?- Holllow Rectangule 30" x 3" x 5" .25" wall

WaveMotionMachines
23rd April 2013, 04:15 PM
Hello all,

I am designing custom wave motion machines and they require a crystal clear acrylic vessel to contain the fluids. Traditionally, this was done using separate pieces of acrylic sheet. I would prefer to use an injection molded design due to the issues that arise with handbuilt vessels. Are the dimensions in the title possible? What would the inside look like regarding the uniformity of wall thickness and ar each of the four corners? Would the interior corners be rounded off? I have included a photo of two handbuilt vessels. I have the same questions for the cylindrical design as well. It is 30" x 5"..

The vessel would have one small hole for the injection process and for filling which will be later plugged once the vessel is filled. Is this a fairly simple design? As I am new to this world, what type of drawing in gereally acceptable to submit to a company to have the mold manufactured? What king of cost would I be looking at? I'm hoping to keep the mold cost under $3500.

Thank you all in advance for your insight!

Torrey

http://www.injectionmoldingonline.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19&stc=1&d=1366730012

www.facebook.com/WaveMotionMachines
www.wavemotionmachines.com

Suhas
24th April 2013, 06:17 AM
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
This can be molded but it will not be cheap. You will need a big mold that will need to run in a big machine that usually costs big money such as $200 per hour or more. Set up of the mold, etc will be about $750 to $1000 per run. The mold will cost you about $40-50K. Unless your volumes are very high, this may not be a viable solution. Because this is a cosmetic part, your scrap rate may also be high.
Sorry to let you down my friend.
Regards,
Suhas