PDA

View Full Version : People baffle me sometimes

moldingppm
19th April 2013, 04:03 PM
Hey guys,

Just figured I'd post up a conversation I had with a mold maker today and get thoughts as I may be wrong.

I had a company pull a job which was running PVC. The tool maker showed up today to pickup the molds, I guess they're having them reworked.
Upon having a conversation with the guy, he didn't even know the parts were PVC (something I always tell my mold guy before he works on the molds is the material)
After that, I said, yeah, processing it is a pain. You have to run a stainless screw(at the least, should be coated), stainless mold and a non shear screw tip. These are things I was always told was needed at the least while I was growing up.
His reply was, "Well you need the screw to be gold plated and the mold had to be gold or nickel plated."\

I'm only 21 years old. I don't know everything and anything (and I'm sure no one else does know everything about molding), but that made me scratch my head.

THEN I had told him I had a few jobs coming up that I would need quoted, the reply I received was "Well, I have 17 molds on order right now and I am completely booked until mid-next year. There's a bunch of tool and die shops around here, I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you with those projects, I can't do it. Too busy"

I've never heard anyone turn down work. I use a tool and die shop in Pittsburgh (and my company has for 19 years, and my grandfathers company has used them for the better part of 30 years), and I know they're not busy enough to be booked for 17 jobs, nor will they turn down work.

I'm just baffled by this guy. I could honestly be wrong about all of this, but I'm not sure. Just figured I'd share my experience.

rickbatey
19th April 2013, 08:09 PM
As far as PVC goes, I've ran it in a couple JSW's. We used the OE screw and they tend to be more of a long- thin screw tip (many call smear tip). These screws were only 2-1 compression ratio, no plating other than stock. We had no issues other shut down and start up procedures.

The tool maker is odd!? I've seen two so busy they offered another shops name, but never just left you high and dry!? That is odd.
Rick.

brentb
20th April 2013, 02:24 AM
How many people work in the shop in question?
Maybe he is so good he can be selective?
Maybe he figures you want the molds in a timely fashion?
Maybe his customer (owner of PVC molds) doesn't want him to work for you?
Maybe they bad-talked you?
Maybe the Tool Maker was just being honest?
Not ALL Tool Makers are bad people!

Keep on Molding!

brent