PDA

View Full Version : Water temperatures

stennerpumpsmolding
20th February 2013, 11:46 PM
Was wondering how you determind supply and return water temps in the mold. The mold in question has 103R Lexan resin. I have the correct temps (which are roughly 570-600), and it says the mold temp should be between 180-240, but how do you actually determine the water temps for supply and return based on the information you know?

Thanks

Suhas
21st February 2013, 07:55 AM
Hi,
You can get flow meters, temp gages from here: www.smartflow-usa.com. There are a number of options there. Typically, you should not have a In - Out difference of more that 3-4 deg with turbulent water flow.
Hope this helps.
Suhas

rickbatey
21st February 2013, 07:07 PM
I always start on the low end, barrel included, then work up from there. You can heat a mold or resin easier than you'll ever cool it down. I know that the cooler I run melt temps, the less heat I have to remove!
Rick.

brentb
23rd February 2013, 12:03 AM
I always start on the low end, barrel included, then work up from there. You can heat a mold or resin easier than you'll ever cool it down. I know that the cooler I run melt temps, the less heat I have to remove!
Rick.

I generally agree (aside from politics) with my molding pal Rick but one word (maybe more than one)of caution: running too cool of a mold will affect end properties of a product and crystallization. Always stay within resin maker's guidelines and/or accepted practices. Too cool can have consequences that are not seen until too late.

Keep on Molding!

brent

rickbatey
24th February 2013, 12:07 AM
Brent,
What I meant was the low end of the processing guide, for the resin in use. I've lived the POM nightmare with a mold too cold. Thank the Molding Gods for Dupont's and others process guidelines.
Rick.

brentb
24th February 2013, 02:51 AM
Brent,
What I meant was the low end of the processing guide, for the resin in use. I've lived the POM nightmare with a mold too cold. Thank the Molding Gods for Dupont's and others process guidelines.
Rick.

Rick,

Acetal (POM) was in my mind too. I wrote that for others with less experience. As you wrote, consult the resin maker's literature.
KOM
brent

Suhas
26th February 2013, 05:13 AM
POM is the one that gives the most issues - for shrinkage. Mold temp is one important factor. I agree.
Suhas