PDA

View Full Version : ways to improve

sublime1
9th January 2013, 03:24 AM
I was asked by my boss, if there were some ways to improve a processing department. I thaught this would be a good topic for this forum. The sky is the limit, so let's here your thoughts.

brentb
10th January 2013, 02:00 AM
1. Fire the boss who asked that!
2.Get metrics for: scrap,rejects efficiency ,on-time delivery,cost of quality maintenance costs,downtime causes
3. Do a Pareto on those costs and attack the biggest dollar (Euro?) category.1st and go down the line.
4 When all categories show vast improvement and profits are at all time high,become new boss and maintain
KOM

sublime1
10th January 2013, 05:12 AM
I love it , that's awsome

rickbatey
10th January 2013, 08:49 PM
Brent,
You are a sage and a credit to our profession!
I just want to add: STANDARDIZE EVERYTHING! Purchase as few brands as possible!!! These two are missing in so many plants!
Rick.

brentb
11th January 2013, 02:23 AM
Oh, have the guys take a Suhas Seminar . Or buy a Suhas book.

KOM

PS, no I don't get a comission!

pjhall
11th January 2013, 07:01 AM
Wow man talk about a GENERAL Question...

Follow brentb's list and "Pick the low hanging fruit"

brentb
12th January 2013, 01:14 AM
Rick, somehow my reply to your reply about my reply to the guy that asked, didn't appear.
I said that your reply about standardization was as you say " spot on". I worked in a closure place that had everything standardized, and it was great. Super low mold change and color change times, and spare parts inventory was a breeze. The place was 24/7, so all that standardization made things great!

Keep on Molding
brent

Suhas
13th January 2013, 04:13 PM
Good ideas All. May be we should turn this into an article. On a personnel note -
1. Think out of the box.
2. Drop the notion 'I know everything'.
3. We all need to learn and learn a lot more.

I am going to start buying the lottery ... if I will big, I will set up a R&D and training center and offer you all a fully paid sabbaticals where you can come a play - I promise.

Very sincerely,
Suhas

brentb
15th January 2013, 12:55 AM
Wow man talk about a GENERAL Question...

Follow brentb's list and "Pick the low hanging fruit"

Also: " Take it to the next level"
"Think outside the box"
Concentrate on your " core competence"
Go over the wall.
Give 110%
and most importantly;
KEEP ON MOLDING!

brent

brentb
15th January 2013, 12:58 AM
Sorry Suhas, didn't mean to copy your box comment, I hadn't read your post when I replied. Hey did I tell you I am trying to learn some (mandarin) Chinese?

KOM
brent

ArikB
15th January 2013, 04:03 AM
Your question is a little too vague or perhaps Im used to different terminology here in the states. When I read "ways to improve a processing department" I think of the process itself and not the entire molding shop. The metrics mentioned by brentb are all measurable's that should be monitored but when we say things here regarding "process" it is generally understood to mean the actual process of molding plastic. Im a process engineer and have great advice on optimizing an injection molding process but what it all boils down to is data collection, aka scientific molding. Without data all that a person has is an opinion or a guess. Knowing that, you need to start gathering data on all the measurables that can affect the process and its repeatability. If your process is not 100% repeatable then any improvements made on one run, or even one shift, may not carry over to the next. You need to test the molding machine (dynamic check ring test, speed linearity, load compensation, platen deflection, valve response time, etc) then you test the mold (viscosity study, cavity balance, gate seal, pressure loss, mold deflection, high/low process window, screw drift, cooling time study, rear zone tact temp study, etc) Once you have all of this data available then you have actual facts to study in order to find the best process with which to run your parts.

Hope this helps,
Arik

Pilot
15th January 2013, 09:33 PM
First of all you have to start with using of japaniese words, like FISS, KAMISHIBAI, SIX SIGMA, KAISEN, GREEN BELT, BLACK BELT.
It help you very much.
Secondly you have to ask your boss how much $ ?? he has for you :-)

KOM Pilot

pjhall
19th January 2013, 07:17 AM
Sorry Suhas, didn't mean to copy your box comment, I hadn't read your post when I replied. Hey did I tell you I am trying to learn some (mandarin) Chinese?

KOM
brent

I leave next Saturday for a nice two week stay in Shenzhen, China. Southern China Mould Makers. Some times you get what you pay for.... :(

Suhas
21st January 2013, 11:44 PM
Have fun in China PJ! I have had a tough time dealing with some molders or so called molders :) ... so All the best!