PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 48 or 72 zone hot runner controller

tfrounfe
12th December 2012, 09:49 PM
I am looking to purchase a replacement 48 zone hot runner controller. We currently use a PPE controller and it has been fairly consistant, however, we have recently experienced a couple issues where we have had major leakage and have had to clean and re-wire the manifold. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

brentb
13th December 2012, 04:59 AM
You blaming the controller for leakage?

KOM
brent

tfrounfe
13th December 2012, 04:01 PM
Haha, not at all. The leakage stems from improperly setting the valve pins or cracked components in the valve assembly, probably from over torque during reassembly. We actually have 4 different types of controllers and everyone has their own opinion. Out of the 4, two are consistent, as far as keeping temperatures. We have experienced some temperature spikes while running Delrin which has caused degraded material and blocked the valve gates. A couple of times the T.C. may have been bad, but sometimes swapping out the card in the controller has solved the issue. I have looked into controllers that say they can detect leaks before major damage is done and I'm just looking for opinions on previous experience with different controllers.
Thank you

brentb
14th December 2012, 01:30 AM
In taht case something along the line of a Mold-Masters M2 or Ewikon HPS may fit your bill. Sometimes I think those fuzy logic controllers may all be made in the same place.

KOM
brent

rickbatey
14th December 2012, 04:11 PM
I like the Gammaflux units, as well as the Acetronic version of the old DME units. The Husky units are nice as well; but so much of this depends on your budget.
Rick.

brentb
15th December 2012, 02:30 AM
Gamaflux is great too. I agree with Rick, as I usually do I am an agreeable person!

KOM
brent

tfrounfe
17th December 2012, 02:09 PM
I appreciate your suggestions. I have been leaning toward a Gamaflux unit but since I have not had any experience I was a little leary.
Thanks again

Pilot
17th December 2012, 04:28 PM
Hi, I am using ATOS controlers http://www.atos-ps.cz/Regulator_horkych_vtoku_.pdf price for 72 zone is cca 20 000 USD. (sorry, file is only in czech language but with pictures :-)
You have to check "safety" function of the controlers, If control unit is OK, everything works OK, but in case of broken triac, some controlers are fully open. In this case temperature is growing up without control. The controler is not able switch off zone. No alarm messages are working. This is problem of many producers, for ex. S.I.S.E.

Next issue is leakage of plastic into hot runner chanel. After some breakdowns, with completely rewiring and heaters instalation has been instaled alarm device directly into chanel. It is homemade stupid wire/fuse. cheap solution (20 USD per tool) But it works :-). Industrial solution is for ex. AIRTECT company.

Generally I work with 48-72 zones systems (tools 20-40 tons) and I can confirm, that total hot runner system refurbishment is realy expensive job :-)

ruhlj
17th December 2012, 08:53 PM
I am looking to purchase a replacement 48 zone hot runner controller. We currently use a PPE controller and it has been fairly consistant, however, we have recently experienced a couple issues where we have had major leakage and have had to clean and re-wire the manifold. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As you can see, we all have our favorites. Might as well throw mine in.....look at IMIS. We have bought several and they are great units. They say (I can not verify) they can sometimes detect leaks. Their computer looks at every cycle and the heat load for every heater and when you have a leak, the heat load increases slightly. Have them explain it.