PDA

View Full Version : Screw tip issues

moldingppm
3rd October 2012, 08:31 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of changing my check ring on my 55mm Arburg screw, I have been spraying the threads of the tip with Liquid Wrench for a day or so and I've had my cousin use an Oxy/Acetylene torch on it and it will not come loose. I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me as I'm stumped.

Suhas
4th October 2012, 01:46 AM
Hey PPM,
Are you sure you are turning it the right way? Because I think Arburgs have a the Righty-Loosei screw?? Brent, are you there?
Suhas

brentb
4th October 2012, 04:36 AM
Arburgs rotate screw counter-clockwise (as facing the screw motor-, not facing clamp) the tip is tightened "rightie" as with a standard bolt. Our Engels also rotate counter clockwise so rightie tightie too. Must be a Germanic or European thing. The Japanese presses I've seen as well as when presses were made in the USA rotate clockwise, so one turns tip left or "backwards" to ltighten. The logic is that the tips won't unscrew while running.

careful with the torch, too much heat can ruin the screw properties. Might have to shock the tip loose or go to a machine shop. Use good antiseize when reassembling tip. Not enough to bleed out into product, but do apply!

I can remember when Ford wheel lug nuts were different thread depending on what side of the car the wheels were on.

KOM

brent