PDA

View Full Version : Type of molding machine needed???

FlatMatt5
24th August 2012, 02:18 PM
Hello, I am brand new to your forum and to molding and need your advice.

I am wanting to create my own Silicone baking mat with the injection molding process and have no idea how to proceed. I would only have budget for a benchtop injection molding machine but they all appear to only make small parts and I need a mat that's about 12 X 17. Here is a link to a product I wish to replicate. It's called the Silpat and I need to have a fiberglass mesh inside it: http://www.amazon.com/Silpat-Non-Stick-Baking-2-inches-Sheet/dp/B00008T960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345813784&sr=8-1&keywords=silpat

Can you recommend a machine that would do the job?

Finally, do any of you think this is more of a COMPRESSION molding project than and injection molding one?

Thanks,
Matt

rickbatey
25th August 2012, 03:09 AM
Matt,
How do you plan to place the mat into the mold, locate it, and maintain position to fill the mold with injection pressure? What your looking at was probably thermoformed ( compression) or extruded. With many high temp silicones, they may be produced with a 2 part chemistry.
You could mold them with a rotary clamp machine, depending on resin used and insert the mat by hand.
Rick

FlatMatt5
28th August 2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks, Rick. As you might have guessed, we haven't answered any of those questions yet, especially holding the mesh steady while filling around it. You've given me a few things to look at and steered me toward compression molding so it's a good start.
Thanks,
Matt

Suhas
29th August 2012, 05:40 AM
Hi Matt,
It is a baking mat and so for sure it is a thermoset -probably silicone. Silicone is extensively used in bake ware. Compression molding is not an efficient process and so for commodity stuff like this, I am not sure.
May be it is silicone that is extruded. Two sheets of silicone and the artwork or insert is laid in between?
Just a thought.
Suhas