PDA

View Full Version : 'Over Drying' of PC ?

Suhas
25th August 2011, 04:17 PM
Have you experienced any issues when you have ‘over dried’ PC?

rickbatey
29th August 2011, 10:27 PM
Not PC. Now I have had the issue with PA, loss of plasticizers and the parts were brittle and failed the bust test. But not PC. Now I have seen WD-40 wiped on PC parts and they develop stress cracks afterward?!

brentb
30th August 2011, 12:15 AM
Color shift on a bluish tint that turned grey after too long in the dryer. It was a part that was to be sterilized.
Funny,we were just talking about this.
Keep on Molding!

brent

clessard
8th September 2011, 03:45 PM
Have you experienced any issues when you have ‘over dried’ PC?
We keep our dryers running at 250 degs for PC and I have never seen a problem related with over drying. What would I expect to see? Burning? Brittleness?

Suhas
8th September 2011, 05:27 PM
@Clessard, Thanks for your post. Honestly, I am not sure. I did some research on overdrying of PBT and Nylons and got some interesting results. It is usually the additives that degrade and leave the system and then that particular property related to the additive is lost. For example, in PBT it was an impact modifier (almost certain) that was lost and so the parts ended up being brittle. So with PC, I am not sure. Brent (above) had some insight.
Hope this helps.
Suhas

Givemeacc88anyday
12th February 2020, 07:57 PM
No u will notice when it stops pulling and have 2 cut the hopper in half not usually an issue

Givemeacc88anyday
12th February 2020, 08:06 PM
Only when u have 2 cut you're hopper apart and throw it away

Ten Fingers
11th March 2020, 09:05 PM
Old post resurrected, but funny story....

Saw this once, long ago. 300 lb hopper filled with ABS.

Unfortunately the temperature controller was in C so when someone mistakenly set it at 150 (thinking it was F) it created a giant unbreakable Rice Krispy block inside the hopper.

Pilot
12th March 2020, 09:33 AM
°C is a normal unit :-) or not?

Jendalf
12th March 2020, 12:22 PM
:) but the number is not normal :)

Ten Fingers
12th March 2020, 03:29 PM
°C is a normal unit :-) or not?

I would love to go to all metric in the US! Just need to convince several hundred million other people first.

Jendalf
12th March 2020, 03:49 PM
I would love to go to all metric in the US! Just need to convince several hundred million other people first.

Oh man you don´t want to....otherwise you would have to pay the price for gallon also for liter :D

Ten Fingers
12th March 2020, 04:11 PM
Oh man you don´t want to....otherwise you would have to pay the price for gallon also for liter :D

I am old enough to remember when gasoline went above $1 USD per gallon. The majority of the gas pumps at the time only had two digits available for price so, for a time, gasoline pumps were switched over to litres at a per litre price!

All pumps were quickly upgraded or new pumps purchased with a return to gallon pricing. Crisis averted!

Pilot
13th March 2020, 09:29 AM
funny discussion :-) gasoline price here (CZ) 5,03 USD per gallon today :-)