PDA

View Full Version : Loud noise when mould opens.

Horeki
15th April 2019, 05:31 AM
Hi, I’m new in the forum.

Recently I got a new Toyo SI-6 180, I’m using the machine to mould IML containers, after a few months of using the machine it started to make a loud noise when mould opens.

Mould details: 2 cavity with hot runners.

I dismounted the mould, mount it again, double checked the clamps adjustment, send the mould to a mould maker to check for abnormal wear, cracks or anything and found nothing wrong.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
How you solved?
Nice to meet you all and Thank you in advance for any help!

chrisprocess
15th April 2019, 05:28 PM
Maybe minor misalignment during high pressure clamp?
if there's too many slide locks or tapered locking features sometimes mold will bind up during high pressure tonnage; once that tonnage is released it can make loud popping sound.

A test would be to 1) close the mold without using high pressure tonnage (so just slowly touch mold haves together), open mold an normal speed, note any noises or thumps.
Then 2) close the mold under high pressure clamp, open mold at normal speed, note any noises or thumps.

You could even go a step further and close the mold leaving various increments of clearance between parting line.
So leave 1" of clearance, open mold to investigate irregularities, Leave 2" of clearance, open mold for irregularities, and so on... May help you pin-point exactly what features are causing the noise, if any. And can help rule out the mold as the problem.

Welcome to the Forum and let us know what you find!

Horeki
16th April 2019, 03:09 AM
Thank you for the advice, I did the 2 tests you suggested:
1) I didn’t notice any strange sound
2) Closed mold with high pressure clamp (normal) open at normal speed an when clamp pressure opens mold makes a loud THUMP!!
Tried leaving a clearance in the mold and then opening but the thump! Only happens when the clamp opens (exactly at 2.79mm).
Unfortunately I think my mold is defective, tomorrow I’m going to talk with the mold maker to try to solve the issue.

nemanja
16th April 2019, 06:41 AM
Hello,
Are you sure sound is coming from mold? Check also speeds and pressure drops during mold opening. It happens that machine can make "hydraulic jump" if you go from high speed to low or when you go from high to low pressure.
More "smooth" transition helping with this issue.

chrisprocess
16th April 2019, 05:08 PM
What nemanja said is a good point, would be good to verify smooth opening speed and pressure profiles.

I might try removing the side locks to see if it goes away. Hopefully it's binding up on these components, and not your actual mold features.
Maybe remove the top and bottom first, then try the left and right. If you're mold is equipped. Similar to ones pictured below

Horeki
16th April 2019, 09:40 PM
Fixed!!
Changed opening speed from: 37%>52%>74%>100%
To: 100%>100%>100%>100%

And the thumping sound completely disappeared.
The machine it’s a 100% electric (my first one) and I’m not sure if it’s usual to set high movement speeds without a “smooth” acceleration, but in this case it worked.

Thanks to all for you advice!!!

chrisprocess
16th April 2019, 10:37 PM
Fixed!!
Changed opening speed from: 37%>52%>74%>100%
To: 100%>100%>100%>100%

And the thumping sound completely disappeared.
The machine it’s a 100% electric (my first one) and I’m not sure if it’s usual to set high movement speeds without a “smooth” acceleration, but in this case it worked.

Thanks to all for you advice!!!

There you go! Always nice when someone follows up and resolves the issue.

Joel JS
17th April 2019, 03:30 PM
Hello

Glad that you figured it out

However, As I understand the noise went away when you went to 100% on all opening speeds and otherwise you heard a thump. If this is true then I would contact the machine mfr and let them know, as this should not happen, esp with a new machine. (Maybe though first you should remove the mold and try again with different mold to be sure this is not mold related)

If they tell you this is normal, I will be shocked.

Joel

Horeki
23rd April 2019, 04:23 AM
You are right, this isn’t normal at all.
Last Sunday we inspected all the platens and movement system and found nothing, exchanged molds one from the same mold maker and another from a different mold maker, as expected both molds worked fine at any opening and closing speed, with and without high pressure clamp.
We contacted the mold maker and after a long talk and a few tests with the engineer in charge of customer support we determined the mold is defective (design flaws) we need to send it to a mold maker(here) for repair and the mold maker(Japan)is going to reimburse the cost of the repairs.

The other option was to send the mold to Japan and wait for a repair or a replacement.