PDA

View Full Version : New Technology For Injection Molding

Penny Siow
14th March 2019, 06:06 AM
Hi, I'm looking for plastic injection molding for my thesis, any suggestion for tittle? Normally all is about mold flow & also parameter setting. Any suggestion?

collij3
14th March 2019, 11:47 AM
Hi, I'm looking for plastic injection molding for my thesis, any suggestion for tittle? Normally all is about mold flow & also parameter setting. Any suggestion?

1. DFM (design for manufacturing), flow / injection forces contribute to tool damage. premature fatigue, gas venting.
2. Resin Variables contribute to mold processing and tooling (tolerance, part not releasing or sticking, resin moisture content; gas burns. premature steel erosion)
3. Cycle Times versus Tool Capability

chrisprocess
14th March 2019, 10:15 PM
Spiral Mold is interesting. Injecting with fixed pressure vs fixed rate. Or what changing gate geometry (shear) does to plastic flow.

In terms of new technology, Arburg has a freeformer 3d printer that extrudes plastic pellets like an injection molding machine.
This is interesting because you use standard pellet-sized plastic materials like you would in injection molding to help prototype and streamline the product development process.
So what you get are 3d printed parts that more-or-less resemble actual injection molding process.

here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqlrM86uCdM

nikom
15th March 2019, 04:48 AM
I don't know your focus but you could also go the materials/chemistry route and investigate different additives

bbevc
15th March 2019, 06:58 PM
you can try with apc systems- process control and adjustment (adaptation) from shot to shot. i know that krauss maffei has apc, other manufacturers has probably diferent names for this system.

rickbatey
20th March 2019, 09:35 PM
Engel and their #1 customer, LEGO, have used Engel’s MicroPlast and Microflow to make essentially zero defects. It takes some time to set it until but once it’s running you shouldn’t have to touch the press when the MFI changes while running.
Rick

Joel JS
21st March 2019, 02:33 PM
Hi Penny,

Micro-molding is interesting, molding things the size of plastic pellet or smaller,... Lots of good ideas flowing in, whatever you decide, you'll have to send us your final paper! :-)

Joel

douginky
22nd March 2019, 04:21 PM
Along the micro molding path is the relatively new Spiral Logic screw system. No compression on screw and starve fed. Say they can meter it down to one pellet.
Pretty cool.