PDA

View Full Version : Material selection between PP and PE

sigithutama
17th September 2018, 05:24 AM
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has ever tried mixing these two recycled materials to produce a flexible/shatterproof yet stiff cement bucket (for reference, I attached the picture)?
I got many references from local producers here, but all are different.
Below are the options:
1. Mix PP with LD
2. Only LD
3. Mix HD and LD
4. Only HD

Would be best if someone has ever produced same product with same characteristic. and how many percent mixture of each material?

Thanks

brentb
18th September 2018, 06:11 PM
PP homopolymer with a fractional % HDPE gives properties similar to PP Copolymer (crack resistance) You must try your resin combos in sampling and do dart/drop tests to determine what you want properties/cost.

KOM

brent

sigithutama
19th September 2018, 05:43 AM
PP homopolymer with a fractional % HDPE gives properties similar to PP Copolymer (crack resistance) You must try your resin combos in sampling and do dart/drop tests to determine what you want properties/cost.

KOM

brent

Thanks for the information Brent.

But, if i mix PP with HDPE, when we bend or fold the bucket, will it show a white bending mark?
The customer does not want the bucket to have this white bending mark.

Do you have anymore suggestion?

Thanks

Suhas
19th September 2018, 02:23 PM
Hi,
You will have to make some test blends and experiment with it. It is very difficult to tell only because none of the mixing relationships are linear due to Chemistry. On the other hand, why not use off the shelf? Or are you trying to use regrind?
Suhas

sigithutama
19th September 2018, 03:40 PM
Hi,
You will have to make some test blends and experiment with it. It is very difficult to tell only because none of the mixing relationships are linear due to Chemistry. On the other hand, why not use off the shelf? Or are you trying to use regrind?
Suhas

Yes, I am trying to use the regrind to cut the production cost.
As far, i have eliminated the possibility of mixing or using PP as the raw material as it will cause white stretching or bending mark.

So now I am down to only using LDPE, or HDPE or Mix both of them.
As far as i know, the safest way is using only LDPE since LDPE is very flexible. But if can mix with HDPE will also help to cut down the cost.

Guess will need a lot of experiment to try :eek: