PDA

View Full Version : Injection molding of ABS Plastic and TPR Material

Greg4745
24th May 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I am working with a Chinese manufacturer to create a new product that uses ABS plastic and TPR material. The manufacturer injected the TPR material alongside the ABS plastic (thus avoiding the use of glue), but they informed me that for some reason that the TPR material and ABS plastic are not sticking well together. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to solve this issue? Any advice that I could send to the Chinese manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

rickbatey
24th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Contact Kraiburg. They have grades just for ABS and other engineered resins. I worry that your supplier is not molding the substrate, then over molding the part. That will make the control of the two melts very difficult, and increase the scrap produced. Also you will have a hard time finding a viable means to recycle the scrap parts from these types of processes.
The best method is to purchase a press just for this process. Then inject the ABS, and pull the core or rotate the mold halves, then ASAP inject the TPE onto the substrate. The higher the surface energy of the substrate, the better your bond strength will be.
Hope this helps, Rick.

pjhall
26th May 2012, 02:34 AM
You can also do it as an overmold, but "anchors" need to be designed into the first shot so the overmold will hold.

Greg4745
28th May 2012, 05:21 PM
thanks so much Rick and PJ. I will definitely pass along your suggestions to the manufacturer.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Greg

weichuanglin
11th June 2012, 12:32 PM
ABS is never sticking well to TPR that is coming from their nature behavior. However, you still can force them to stick together which is to intently design certain "undercuts" on slier location so that to force them stick well. My project has had one plastic part similar to yours and using double injection. by the way, do not use overmolding cause that brings more issues you are not expected. Hope it helps.

Lin

katie87
8th November 2014, 06:37 AM
Yes, Abs plastic is never sticking well to TPR because of their natural behavior. TPR plastic are used to produce the soft material like soft toys and plastic handle etc.

Suhas
8th November 2014, 04:57 PM
Hi,
A TPR can be a variety of resins. In all bonding cases, you need to look at the chemistry of the two materials you need to bond. There is a list on one of the material suppliers website of the materials (not grades) that will bond with each other chemically. That is the first step. (If I find it, I will post the link.) Not all materials will bond with each other. And yes, as PJ says above you will need to provide the anchors.
Regards,
Suhas

foxconnmold
18th December 2014, 08:44 AM
Hi
TPE / TPR plastic bag ABS, good adhesion, easy to tear and fall off. Not to say TPE / TPR and ABS sticky material itself, but may be other problems, such as TPE / TPR brands of choice, injection temperature selection, product requirements and design, among other factors related to

When 1.TPE / TPR grades. ABS plastic bag should be used in the appropriate performance of TPE / TPR grades, some grades of TPE / TPR and ABS can not be a good coating adhesion, so the choice of TPE / TPR rubber grades, it is best with TPE, TPR production business contacts, especially when compared to technical strength, large scale manufacturer.

2. The injection temperature. Injection temperature is low, TPE / TPR not sufficiently plasticize / melt, not in conjunction with the ABS surface to form a good welded layer, thereby to mention effective bonding. TPE / TPR plastic bag ABS ,, second injection molding temperature used, the reference range of 170 ~ 210 ℃. Specific injection temperature, it is recommended to TPE / TPR vendor funding.

3. Product Design. Adhesive coated surface of some products, TPE / TPR and ABS is small, this is more difficult to achieve good adhesion,

In short, the package of plastic ABS plastic, using TPE / TPR soft, its excellent adhesive coating, but need to select the appropriate injection molding grades and attention appropriate injection temperature. ABS plastic bag with the TPE / TPR, hardness range ShoreA20 ~ 90. scale.

brentb
18th December 2014, 01:36 PM
Did you try TPE or TPU?

KOM

brent