PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Pipe or Plastic Pipe for Plant water supply?

tbramel
29th June 2018, 07:52 AM
I am curious as to what are the thoughts on piping for a plant water supply, Galvanized Pipe or Plastic Pipe. We are getting ready to install a closed looped system in one of factories that currently has galvanized piping. Looking at some of the pipes that we have removed, there is a lost of corrosion.

brentb
29th June 2018, 01:27 PM
Plastic (CPVC) doesn't rust or corrode!

KOM

brent

moldingppm
29th June 2018, 06:44 PM
Plastic (CPVC) doesn't rust or corrode!

KOM

brent

x2 for SCH 80 pipe

SRPlasPros
29th June 2018, 07:12 PM
I am curious as to what are the thoughts on piping for a plant water supply, Galvanized Pipe or Plastic Pipe. We are getting ready to install a closed looped system in one of factories that currently has galvanized piping. Looking at some of the pipes that we have removed, there is a lost of corrosion.

What we do where I work, is we have galvanized pipes running everywhere for just about anything including water. We treat our water first with the normal salt brine, and the water that is used on the molds, and in the TCU's is treated with HCL, and that has stopped our corrosion for quite a while.(years)

rickbatey
2nd July 2018, 04:51 PM
Use the schedule 80 or better plastic lines. Lines that carry water back from thermolators to trunk lines should be galvanized or stainless steel due to creep/bowing of the line when a unit bleeds off some hot water for an extended time before someone realizes it. I’d use 6” supply and 8-10” return lines. It negates static or head pressure that reduces overall flow.
Rick.

iautry1973
2nd July 2018, 08:23 PM
Rick, I have seen plastic pipes "explode" from that very thing LOL. Makes a big mess.

rickbatey
4th July 2018, 12:04 AM
I’ve seen black pipe and galvanized do the same thing including rusting completely through! Same as people taking the air line off the bottom of the trunk line and then wondering why they have water in the lines!?
Rick.

brentb
5th July 2018, 03:16 PM
Original query concerned plant water piping.

KOM

brent

stephenof
10th July 2018, 08:00 PM
Don't be afraid to use plastic. No problem here